The Empowering Team came across the article below from Mind Fuel Daily. This is a great way to get started with meditation. Enjoy!
Meditation can be a healing, restorative process for many; yet like any journey, getting started can be challenging. And though meditation can take years (if not decades!) to perfect, anyone can begin with these simple, calming steps towards health of mind, body and spirit.
1. Take a seat – while you can certainly meditate while standing, most teachers recommend being seated on the floor, legs crossed – you can also use a cushion for support!
2. Close your eyes – the purpose is to eliminate or distance ourselves from distraction as much as possible, so that we can focus on what is happening within the mind.
3. Breathe – every practice starts with a renewal of concentration on the breath – try not to think, and simply let air flow in and flow out naturally.
4. Observe – as your breath deepens, pay attention to the body’s signals. Relax your back, neck, and shoulders as needed. Give yourself time to “settle in.”
5. Let the mind wander – lots of beginners report “racing thoughts” syndrome. That’s fine and normal. Relax. With time, the mind will find its balance.
6. Start within – once you’re feeling calm, begin to focus on the whole self: mind, body, and spirit together. Expand this space with thoughts of compassion and love.